Dusty Trails Horse Rescue, Inc. (DTHR) strives to end the suffering of all equine that have fallen victim to abuse and neglect. Most of the horses who come into the program are in a severe state of starvation. Special attention is given to the nutritional requirements that need to be met to bring the horse back to good health. This may take several weeks to months for the horse to recover.
DTHR works with volunteers and professionals to prepare them for adoption into loving, pre-approved homes. DTHR is funded by donations from the public and fundraisers.
Due to the overwhelming need for our assitance DTHR only takes in horses from severe neglect and abuse situations as requested by law enforcement.
- To promote the prevention of equine abuse and suffering, and to rescue those equine that have fallen victim to cruelty, abuse, neglect, starvation, abandonment or slaughter
- To provide equine rescue, rehabilitation, education and adoption services within the state of Alabama
- To provide assistance to law enforcement and animal agencies with cruelty investigations, as well as the care and placement of equine
- To obtain legal guardianship of these equine, with the goal to place them in a loving, approved, suitable new home
- To assist others with education of proper equine care in the hopes of preventing abuse or neglect to these equine
- To promote and teach horse care and humane, natural methods of training horses
- To maintain a sound and reliable fund raising program for long term survival of DTHR
- To be an advocate for animal welfare concerns
We would like to thank Horse Breeds Info for awarding us with their Horse Rescue Award!